Monday, March 28, 2016

Cabbage & Cashews

I am often searching for and saving recipes that I might want to try.  Today, I needed something fairly quick and after a quick search of my Vegan Vegetarian board on my Pinterest, I came across this recipe.


I had all the ingredients and needed to use my cabbage so I thought it was the perfect dish.  Here's the recipe in its original form (see Washington's Green Grocer):

1/4 cup butter or olive oil

1/3 cup raw (unroasted, unsalted) cashews

3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger

1 tablespoon cumin seed

1 small (about 11/4-pound) cabbage, thinly sliced

1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric

1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a large (12- to 14-inch) frying pan over medium heat, melt butter (or warm oil). Add cashews, ginger, and cumin; cook, stirring often, until cashews and ginger are golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add cabbage and turmeric; cook, stirring often, until tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

I am typically one who will take a recipe and modify it.  I did that today and it turned out really delicious.  Here's what I did:
  • I used red/purple cabbage because that's what I had
  • I added sliced mushrooms
  • I added pearl couscous
  • I added a touch of veggie broth and let it cook down.  I had added too much salt because I typically don't measure.  The broth cut the saltiness.
Also, I didn't use fresh ginger or cumin seed.  I simply used ground ginger and cumin.  Still tasted great!

Note:  I didn't take a picture of my completed dish..... ate it too quickly!  Guess I'll have to make it again!

But seriously, if you like cabbage, you MUST try this dish!

Happy Eating!

0 comments:

Post a Comment