Monday, March 28, 2016

Why I'm choosing Vegan

In doing my research of the vegan diet, I've come across those on both sides of the fence.....those who are die hard vegans and those who are adamantly against it.  In my own humble opinion, I believe it is an individual lifestyle choice.  I think people choose it for different reasons.

As a disclaimer, I must admit that I am not totally vegan yet.  The first week I tried it, I had some vegan sour cream and thought it was completely nasty!!!  We were having tacos that night and I thought, "I'll be a good vegan and have the vegan stuff."  Holy cow - gag!!!  And if I'm honest.... I do NOT think I like tofu.  Ok, ok.... I admit I haven't actually had it yet.  My non-vegan mother has eaten it and said it's pretty good.   Hmmmm... well, the jury's still out on that one.

So, I figured I was going to have to wean myself off of certain things.  Like dairy.... see my post about the Cheese!!

I felt guilty about not being able to go "cold turkey" until I came across this video from the Edgy Veg.  God bless her, I know she was speaking directly to me!  In this video, she gives us 10 step on how to transition to veganism.  And, trust me.... it IS a transition.


My reasons for going vegan are purely for health reasons.  The fact that it saves the animals and is easier on the environment is a huge side benefit for me.  I am nearing the age of 50 and I was still eating like a 20 year old.  I finally had enough.  I know I have to make a change in lifestyle, not just diet.  Typically, I tend to jump in with both feet when I take on something new, but I want this to last.  So, I'm forcing myself to take baby steps so that each one becomes a new positive habit.  I'm trying not to focus so much on the numbers but more on overall health. 

I'm sure I'll make mistakes along the way.  I'm only human, after all.  If I can just get past the cheese thing.....

Next week, I'll be trying to cut out oil.  I've been reading that oil is bad for you and many vegans cook without it.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Until then....  check out my latest post on a new recipe I tried.

Happy Eating!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment