Thursday, March 31, 2016

Lunch Experiment

Hello, peeps!  I hope today finds you happy and healthy.  Today's post is about experimentation.  Nothing science-y.... just something new that I'm trying based on some vegan videos I found during my research.

It's simple enough and I've discovered that I absolutely love eating this way.  I've posted the video that inspired me at the end of this post.

I've heard over and over again that in order to be truly healthy, you should eat a rainbow everyday.  I love the sound of this!  And the look of it!  You simply can't deny that this is beautiful.


So, in keeping with this, I tried something new today for lunch.  I bought a big steamer pot because I love steamed veggies.  I prefer to steam them because they come out less soggy than when I boil them.  I probably boil them for too long, but....

I chopped up a bunch of veggies that I needed to use.  Here, I have purple cabbage, onion, mushrooms, and broccoli.  I put them all in the steamer basket.

 
 
 I used simple spices:  Cumin (because I love it), turmeric (because it's good for you), some garlic salt, regular salt, pepper.

 
 
 

All of this went into the steamer pot. 
 
Note:  I tend to make a lot of food!  This was meant for one person - me - but I ended up with enough to feed myself for lunch, dinner, and lunch the next day.
 
 
I discovered some spinach in my fridge so I put that on top.  I love fresh spinach!

 
Next, I put some rice on.  Rice is becoming a staple for me.  Hey, rice has been a staple in Asian communities for centuries and I don't see any fat Asians.  And from what I've seen so far, many vegans swear by it.
 
 
The colorful herbs are something I picked up in a little shop in Savannah, GA.  The owner said he and his wife mix it up in their rice.   I like to try new things so I thought, "Why not!"  I'm not sure if I just didn't use enough of it or what, but there I couldn't taste any difference.  Maybe I'll try more of it next time.

 
 
I've discovered that I like my dishes with a lot of variety.  So, I decided to add some canned red kidney beans and canned chopped tomatoes, both drained. 
 
 
This was the result!  I added some extra salt and some tamari which gave it a great flavor.  The next day, instead of tamari I added a couple of teaspoons of hummus on the top.  I love hummus anyway but I discovered this little trick from the Edgy Veg.  She mentioned this in one of her videos and I thought it was a great idea.  It was yummy!!!

 
 
I loved this so much, it will be one of my staple dishes. 
 
The takeaway from this:  chop up any veggies, throw them in a steamer, mix them with rice and beans, throw a little of your favorite spices, and voila!
 
Happy Eating!

0 comments:

Post a Comment